Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Good Vibes


In a world where people choose to say nasty things to one another, to back-stab each other, these two videos restored my faith in humanity. (I'm afraid I can't post the videos because I wasn't able to ask permission if I could post it).

I live a happy life. I mean, I don't have a perfect world where everything I want and needs are all there. But I am learning to live within my means, maximize what I have in terms of people and things and emotions, and at the same time, I try to practice to always see the good in everything. But there are times, or days that negative people will always find their way to influence you. We still have to admit that in order for things to be balance, they will always be there, the pros and cons. yin and yang.

Anyways, one thing I am always proud is I managed to keep close to my friends in college. We were blockmates on our first year and ended being friends for more than a decade now. We have our own lives to live but our friendship remained strong. There were fights, yes, but we surpassed them all. I can say we are at the point of our lives that each has its own path now but we always know we will have each other's back for life.

Since one of our friends got engaged, we created this group chat in Facebook to keep track of each other's whereabouts. After the wedding, we continued the group chat to keep track of one another. In this chat, we talked about everything under the sun, wedding bliss, expectant mothers, and single-blessedness among other things. Until one day, our sister, Rachel asked for prayers for her father who recently got his foot amputated due to diabetes complications. I guess you could say the condition got worse because months after the surgery, he was blabbering that his day is about to come, and when they had reunion last Christmas, instead of being a happy event, it turned out to be a sad one because he is saying goodbye to everyone.

Rachel said he has been talking nonstop for days now. Like he always leaves what to do when he's gone, where to bury him, what he wants to do or who he wants to see..

One of his requests is to see Jayjay Helterbrand and Mark Caguioa, two of his most favorite basketball players from Barangay Ginebra. (For the benefit of others, basketball is like everyone's favorite game of Filipinos). They knew it is impossible for them to do that because they don't have the means but they also don't have the heart to disappoint the old man.

Rachel and his siblings come up with the idea of spreading the news online. She made a public plea for her father to see his idols or at least get a video clip from them. She shared it to us, her friends, and we also shared it to our friends and so on. She made her account on public so everyone can get in touch of her. Within 24 hours of massive sharing of this plea to different social media accounts, one of our college classmate, who's husband's friend is a friend of these guys heard our plea! She was able to get a hold of Mr. Helterbrand, managed to get a video and next thing is Mr. Caguioa!

We were all so overwhelmed with the response of people who helped Rachel and her siblings for this. Few hours after, her father's photo and the video greeting were posted in the team's official fan page and everyone is sending their be-strong messages to the family.

Some says faith in humanity is restored. Indeed it is. This should be the main purpose of social media aside from being reunited with friends or families around the globe. It shouldn't be to bash, or degrade or belittle someone.

Can I also say how proud I am of my friends? We did not do much but the fact that we easily agreed to share the plea, to make Rachel smile despite what she is going through is enough proof that this friendship knows no boundaries.


Taken during our annual Christmas Dinner Tradition together with their kids


No comments:

Post a Comment